My DIY Jecklin Disc …or… Great new use for a Pavarotti Double LP!!
- Super-glue 2 LPs together to make a suitably rigid structure.
- Add a couple of 12″ circles of 25mm high density foam.
- Cover with furry material.
- Stick a 3/8 bolt through it.
- Screw on a couple of shock mounts.
- Add a nice pair of omnis.
- Stick it on a stand………….. job done!
N.B. Mic capsules should be about the same distance apart as your ears. (17cm)
Other suggestions for suitable double albums for making into a Jecklin Disc :-
- A Gift from a Flower to a Garden. Donovan
- Uriah Heep Live.
- All Time Greats. Roger Whittaker.
- An Evening with John Denver etc etc….
For those who are interested in trying the OSS Jecklin Disc there is an excellent article by Jorg Jecklin on Josephson’s website explaining in some detail the theory behind his invention.
By emulating the most important characteristics of human hearing the Jecklin Disc produces, for the listener, recordings with a remarkable sense of ‘being there’. It is certainly my favourite array for recording classical music. Having tried various different mics with this system my current preference is for a matched pair of Oktava MK012s (with omni capsules). Very clean and very neutral.